Lamunyon Restoration provides laboratory mold testing and mold remediation services in homes and commercial buildings in all of Northern Central Kansas and the greater Manhattan area, as well as Salina, Junction City, Topeka, Clay Center, Marysville, Washington, Concordia and more.
You may wonder why mold remediation has become necessary in recent years. There are actually several factors. Awareness has increased, and health conditions that were not understood have now been attributed to mold exposure. Also, building techniques have changed. So buildings that were constructed “loose” in years past have now become the energy efficient (“tight”) buildings we know today. Therefore the building cannot ‘breathe’ moisture away as older structures allowed. Building materials have also changed, allowing for more cellulosic materials in the building. All this has contributed to increased mold contamination in buildings.
Mold is a natural part of our environment. It is in every breath of air we inhale. It is normal! It is impossible to have a zero mold space, inside or out. What isn’t normal is having it grow in the indoor environment. Since mold is a naturally occurring living organism, it is virtually impossible to remove it entirely from the indoor environment. However, by maintaining a relative humidity level between 30-50 percent, you can be reasonably sure that there will not be any mold growth indoors. The team at Dr. Energy Saver by Lamunyon Restoration can help remediate existing mold and provide an unfriendly environment for indoor mold moving forward.
When there is a water leak or some other moisture event, the environment changes and mold can start growing. If mold is laying dormant, then it can immediately grow. However, it usually takes at least 48 hours under ideal growth conditions for mold to grow enough to be visible to the naked eye. Call us as soon as you see mold growing in your home or business to find a solution and help prevent future mold problems.
Mold Myth: One mold remediation myth is that you can kill mold and clean it up with bleach. In fact, that used to be the most common recommendation for mold cleanup. The EPA clearly states: “the use of a biocide, such as chlorine bleach, is not recommended as a routine practice during mold remediation…” (Mold Remediation in Schools and Commercial Buildings, EPA, 2001).
There are certain steps that should be followed regardless of the size or nature of the mold growth. First and foremost is to find the source of moisture, and remove the moisture. Then, based upon the amount of mold growth and other factors such as building materials, building occupants, etc. the remediation scope can be determined. The EPA has put together the following list of questions: