Financing Available - Learn More!

Mold Inspections & Testing

The Basics: All About Mold

Mold is a natural part of our environment. It is in every breath of air we breathe and every part of our homes, businesses, and lives. The mere presence of mold in our environment is normal! In fact, unless you are in a scientifically controlled laboratory setting, it is impossible to have a “zero” or “mold-free” space, inside or out.

What is not normal is having it grow in the indoor environment. Since mold is a naturally occurring living organism, it is virtually impossible to remove entirely; thereby a correct scale would be Acceptable or Elevated levels of mold. Acceptable levels are at which humans will not experience adverse effects. Elevated levels at any amount require immediate attention. Children, those with chronic conditions (such as COPD) and the elderly are especially affected by mold exposure.

“Molds produce allergens (substances that can cause allergic reactions), irritants, and in some cases, potentially toxic substances (mycotoxins). Inhaling or touching mold or mold spores may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals. Allergic responses include hay fever-type symptoms, such as sneezing, runny nose, red eyes, and skin rash (dermatitis). Allergic reactions to mold are common. They can be immediate or delayed. Molds can also cause asthma attacks in people with asthma who are allergic to mold. In addition, mold exposure can irritate the eyes, skin, nose, throat, and lungs of both mold-allergic and non-allergic people. Symptoms other than the allergic and irritant types are not commonly reported as a result of inhaling mold. Research on mold and health effects is ongoing.” (epa.gov)

Did you know that Mold only needs three (3) things to live?

  1. Food for mold is specified as any organic material, such as wood products, ceiling tiles, cardboard, wallpaper, carpets, drywall, fabric, plants, foods, insulation, decaying leaves and other organic matter.  Controlling food sources may not be accessible or a viable option (think, framing of a house)
  2. Air is difficult to control
  3. Water management is the primary course of mold control. Why? Well, typically, when there is a water leak or some other moisture event, the environment changes and mold can start growing. If mold is lying dormant, then it will immediately grow. Dormant means that the spores have remained within an organic compound, such as a wood stud. It usually takes about 24 – 48 hours for mold to grow enough to be visible to the naked eye. By the time you see it, it is definitely time to be concerned.

You may wonder why mold remediation has become necessary in recent years. There are actually several factors. Awareness has increased, and health conditions not previously understood have now been attributed to mold exposure and building techniques have changed. Buildings that were constructed “loose” in years past have now become the energy efficient (“tight”) buildings we know today. Building materials have also changed, allowing more cellulosic materials to be used. These factors, along with way we use our homes sometimes contribute to increased moisture levels, creating a perfect environment for mold to grow.

Contact Us Today!

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Visit Our Blog