Lamunyon News and Information
5 Tips to Prevent Sewage Backup in Your Home
Damaging floors, walls, furniture, appliances, electrical systems, and other home possessions, sewage back ups can be a serious problem. Making it even worse are the costs associated with such destruction, which often aren’t covered by average homeowners insurance policies without the addition of a specific rider.
Even with complete financial coverage, a sewage backup is something better to avoid. Not only does it create a stinky, awful mess, but also increases risk of exposing you and your family to harmful bacteria and disease should sewage water make its way into your home.
Sewage Backup Hazards
Topping the list of worst plumbing problems, sewer backup can lead to large leaks or burst pipes resulting in a contaminated situation that can make you and your family sick. The most common reported illness associated with oral exposure to polluted sewer water is gastroenteritis, or more commonly referred to as a stomach bug or stomach flu, with symptoms of vomiting, diarrhea, and stomach cramps.
Organisms, including E.Coli, salmonella, giardia, and cryptosporidium, are commonly found in sewer water, which can become harmful and lead to illness when humans come in direct contact with them. Contact can occur when wiping your face with contaminated hands or gloves, splash back entering the mouth or skin via a cut or scrape, and by hand-to-mouth touching when eating or smoking.
Sewage Backup Prevention
Sewage backups happen for all kinds of reason: blockages caused by foreign objects and tree roots, flooding, structural defects, and sewage line issues. While some backups may be out of your control, taking preventive steps can only help.
- Grease disposal: Don’t pour liquid cooking grease, fats, and oils down drains, which cannot easily be broken down in the wastewater treatment process as well as can solidify in cold weather.
- Add drain traps: Insert drain baskets or strainers to catch solid objects and foods that might not easily break down.
- Keep toilets from clogging: Never flush anything down the toilet with the exception of bodily waste and toilet paper. That includes: feminine products, paper towels, diapers, cloth rags, hazardous household chemicals
- Clean drains regularly: Instead of crystal or chemical drain cleaners, keep drains free of clogs by monthly flushing one cup of baking soda followed by one cup of white vinegar and warm water.
- Conduct a thorough inspection: If residential plumbing and sewer systems are uncommon to you, consider hiring a skilled professional to examine your home. The service person can identify issues that could potentially lead to a future sewer problem, as well as make recommendations on how to most effectively avoid backups from occurring.
How does Lamunyon clean up sewage damage?
Lamunyon Dry Out & Foundation Repair strictly adheres to IICRC S500 guidelines for water/sewage damage restoration, insurance loss assessment & evaluation, categorization of the water, professional drying methods, structural and content considerations, detailed monitoring of the drying progress and final inspection details. We also use EPA containment methods, professional disinfecting, as well as the removal and disposal of contaminated carpet, drywall and other items.
In fact, when you call us, a uniformed team of trained technicians will meet you on-site and thoroughly discuss the actions needed to bring your home back to safe environment. We work with you so that you understand each part of your loss and always get your permission prior to starting any type of work. We proudly arrive prepared to begin the clean-up process. Specific details of your property’s clean-up process will be provided once we arrive on-site and assess the damage; we value the importance of your home.
When you call Lamunyon Dry Out & Foundation Repair of Manhattan, Clay Center, Salina, Junction City, McPherson, Great Bend, Topeka, and surrounding Kansas areas, to handle your sewage damage cleanup, we will handle cleaning and disinfecting, as well as the removal and disposal of contaminated carpet, drywall and other items.
For expert cleaning of sewer backup problems, give Lamunyon Dry Out & Foundation Repair a call for prompt service.